Having put some German armour in place I decided to do some Shermans next for them to go up against.
Eight Baccus 6mm Shermans and 2 Daimler armoured cars are the initial Allied force.
One of the things I had to think about was how to adapt O Group 15mm armour in to my 6mm world. I decided that an elegant way to do this would be to use 2 tank bases for each regular 15mm tank. This has a couple of benefits.
1. The tanks can be positioned side by side when in combat or one behind another when on a road
2. Instead of using a damaged marker I can just remove one of the tanks – so a lone tank is “damaged” (less effective)
And don’t forget the Daimlers !
Like for the Panzers, I have ordered some decals – which I am sure will be very tricky to apply.
Baccus don’t have a big selection of vehicles yet – although Pete is teasing more on FaceBook in the last couple of days 🥳
So the only German tanks they do right now are Panzer 4’s – so I got a few for a test run. Lovely little figures which I believe are a bit bigger than GHQ.
This is my first time painting 6mm tanks so I was making it up as I went along! I used a simple light tan (I thought Dunkel Gelb might be a little too dark for 6mm) and then used green and brown inks over the top.
One thing that I like about the Baccus Panzers is that the turrets have a long pin, which can be bent over once the turret is in place to keep the two pieces attached.
I have decals on order but they will b e pretty small !
I also did a couple of the German 3t trucks.
So having done my first platoon of the new Baccus 6mm Germans the next logical step was to add some support weapons. I chose to do a Pak40 and battalion mortar battery, Still using FoW medium bases which are working nicely.
One of the things that attracts me to 6mm is the ability to field large numbers of troops. I like the mass effect. I’m not interested in using them to play smaller games.
So having tried basing the new Baccus 6mm Germans on 2p pieces I thought I’d try going bigger and basing them on FoW medium bases at 1:1.
I went with 9 figures per section as I think they would rarely b e at completely full strength.
Quite happy with the result.
Couldn’t help myself. I got a few of the new Baccus 6mm WW2 Germans to try out. Lovely little figures.
I’m planning to use them for David Brown’s new “O Group” rules which we have been play testing at the club. We have been testing them using regula r15mm figures with 3 figures per section (8/9 per platoon). I based these on 2p pieces which I like as they are magnetic and therefore easy to transport. I used 4 figures per section – 10 per platoon.